Tennis NZ Wahine Coaching Scholarship 2023
Tennis NZ is committed to increasing the number and capability of female tennis coaches and to influence a change in perception of the capability of female coaches in Aotearoa. To achieve this aim, Tennis NZ is providing an opportunity for female coaches to access a scholarship to support their completion of the Tennis NZ Junior Development Coach qualification. Scholarship recipients will be appointed a female coaching mentor during the completion of their studies and have additional opportunities to access professional development in a range of tennis industry areas e.g competition delivery, officiation, volunteer development or performance coaching.
This scholarship is available to wāhine aged 17 years or older and from all backgrounds.
Scholarship holders will benefit from a 75% discount towards the Junior Development Coach course fee, taking the course fee down to $462.50 (full cost $1,850)
Two virtual group professional development/networking workshops for scholarship recipients conducted by a Tennis NZ Coach Developer.
Appointed wahine coaching mentor to support you for the duration of the scholarship (up to 1-year)
Scholarship holders will be selected based on the following criteria:
Be a citizen or permanent resident of Aotearoa
Must be 17 years or over at the time of application
Sees tennis coaching as a viable career and shows a desire to be a professional tennis coach
Currently coaching a minimum of five hours per week, or can provide evidence of previous coaching experience
Shows a commitment to delivering Tennis NZ national initiatives, eg Tennis Hot Shots.
Nominate a supervising coach who holds a minimum of the Tennis Australia Club Professional coach qualification (or international equivalent). Tennis NZ can help to connect you with a suitably qualified coach if required.
Undergo an NZ Police vetting procedure
Hold a 1-day First Aid certificate or be willing to attend a course (offered to JDC course attendees for an additional $100)
Shows commitment to the sport of tennis
Demonstrate high levels of maturity, commitment and self motivation.
It is desirable that coaches have previously attended the 3-day Coaching Assistant Course. Please contact the Tennis NZ Coach Development Manager if you have not completed this course
JDC COURSE DATES
Block 1: 6 – 9 October 2022 (Webinar TBC)
Block 2: 26 - 29 January 2023 (Webinar TBC)
Block 3: 2 – 5 March 2023 (Webinar TBC)
Block 4: 20 - 23 April 2023 (Webinar TBC)
All Tennis NZ Wāhine Coaching Scholarship applications for 2024 will open later this year.
Tennis NZ is committed to supporting as many wāhine coaches as possible. Applicants who are not awarded the full scholarship will be invited to the following:
- Wāhine Coaches Network WhatsApp group and regular (approx. 4 times per year) Teams / Zoom calls and in-person Wāhine Coaches Networking events where possible
- Wāhine Coaches Courses - Coaching Assistant Course, Cardio Tennis and Tennis Xpress Workshops
- Wāhine Coaches mentoring programme
If no suitable scholarship applications are received during the application period, Tennis NZ reserves the right not to offer a scholarship. Tennis NZ’s decision regarding the award of the scholarships will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. Note: There are a limited number of scholarships available for each coaching course.
The selection panel will consist of Tennis NZ Head of Participation, Tennis NZ Coach Development Manager and an experienced Coach Developer Trainer. Tennis NZ will notify applicants of the outcome of their application in writing. Please note: Successful applicants must also submit a completed Tennis NZ Junior Development coaching course application form online.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Obligations of Tennis NZ
Make a contribution of 75% of the Junior Development Course fee
Offer a minimum of four virtual group professional development/networking workshops for scholarship recipients conducted by a Tennis NZ Coach Developer throughout the course of the scholarship
Appoint a female coaching mentor to support scholarship recipients for the duration of the scholarship
Provide access to networking opportunities as available
Provide recipient with guidance for planning professional learning opportunities in the future
Obligations of the scholarship recipient
On accepting the Tennis NZ Wāhine Coaching Scholarship, the successful applicants will consent to being bound by and agree to the following:
- Participation in the Wāhine Coaching Network WhatsApp group
- Make a commitment to introduce at least one initiative at your club / coaching venue to increase tennis opportunities for girls and women in your communities
- Assist at a minimum of one Tennis NZ / Regional tennis activation (minimum of four hours)
- Tell us your story! Provide quarterly progress updates of TNZ to share for social media and reporting purposes
- Become a mentor for the Tennis NZ Wāhine Coaching Scholarship Programme 2023
- Junior Development Coaching Course Terms and Conditions, found here
- The course should be completed within 12 months, otherwise an extension fee of $400 will be incurred. This will provide a 12-month extension.
- If all course requirements are not successfully completed within 24 months from the start day of the course, the coach will be withdrawn and the candidate is required to repay the scholarship grant ($1,387.50).
Agreement to terms and conditions
By signing and submitting the online application form, applicants accept and agree to be bound by the above terms and conditions.